Thursday, July 31, 2014

Impressions from Adam

During GLOW camp I was the one male counselor, the person whose primary job description was to “interact with the girls, help with camp, and offer a male perspective during discussion”. This means my job was flexible and I was always all over the place, interacting, reacting, and often times just trying to keep our girls amused and smiling with my comedic mannerisms and awful Armenian language skills. GLOW gave me a chance to interact with girls from all over Armenia, to learn their views, life desires, etc. I loved speaking with them and discussing their opinions of life, gender equality, etc. I’m a shy person at heart, but the girls brought me out of my shell. At the beginning of the camp I had no idea what to say, what to do, etc. By the end of the camp I was laughing, joking, dancing, etc. I was surprised and inspired by the girls’ vibrant personalities and enthusiastic participation in GLOW. They forced me to interact and be a better counselor and I gained tons of new friends and outside perspective on my own beliefs and values. 

No comments:

Post a Comment